the oldest and largest fraternal organization in the world.
an organization of men who adopt the fundamental principle of integrity, goodwill and charity as the foundations for an individual's life and character
a non-profit organization that is heavily involved in supporting charity and community service
comprised of men of good character with high ideals and worthwhile values who make a difference in the community
The Myths Dispelled
It is not a secret society but embraces confidentiality
It is not a religion or a substitute for religion
It is not a benefit society and to join for personal gain will only lead to disappointment
Prince Hall Affiliation
On March 6, 1775 a group of 15 free black men were initiated into Masonry in Boston by Army Lodge #441 of the Irish Constitution attached to the 38th Regiment of Foot Soldiers of the British Army. The 15 were Prince Hall, Cyrus Forbes, Bristol Stenzer, Thomas Sanderson, Prince Taylor,
Calto Gardner, Boston Smith, Peter Best, Fortune Howard, Prince Reed, John Cater, Peter Freeman, Benjamin Tyler, Cuff Buffom and Richard Tilledge. On May 6, 1787, African Lodge #459 was formally organized in Boston under the charter, with Prince Hall as Worshipful Master. African Grand Lodge was organized by an assembly of the Craft on June 24, 1791. Prince Hall died on December 4, 1807. In 1808, after his death, a delegate convention changed the name to The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge. Indiana was the tenth Prince Hall Grand Lodge and was formed in Indianapolis on September 13, 1856 as The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, F & A M, Jurisdiction of Indiana.
Meridian Lodge #33
Meridian Lodge #33 was chartered on August 22, 1901. In the early years Meridian Lodge along with the other city lodges met on Court Street, before moving to 357 Indiana Ave. in a building owned and managed by the Colored Masonic Temple Association. In 1956 the Phyllis Wheatly YWCA at 653 N West St. was purchased and everyone moved from Indiana Ave. In 1978 Meridian Lodge left the Association and leased a building at 904 Udell St. which we rented from First Baptist Church of North Indianapolis, where we remained until 1986 when we purchased the building at 2455-2457 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. 1953 marks the beginning of a fellowship with Mt. Pavan Lodge #2 of Detroit Michigan in which each year we would alternately host a fall banquet. Equity Lodge #121 Dayton, Ohio, was added in 1958 and the Tri-State Visitation was formed. In addition to fellowship and fun, and because of the Freemasons tenant for charity, each Lodge would bring a 500.00 donation and the host Lodge would get the privilege of deciding who the recipient of the $1500.00 donation would be. This formed the beginning of the Lodge scholarship program which was later named the JC Davis memorial scholarships, after a beloved member who died in 2004
Meridian Lodge was the first Masonic Lodge to have a public awareness booth at the Indiana Black Expo. The Easter season is a busy time for the Lodge due to the annual egg hunt which includes giving away a hundred baskets and at least 50 bicycles and tricycles. Thanksgiving is another busy time for the Lodge which, each year, donates at least 100 baskets. Each basket containing the groceries to make a complete turkey dinner for 6 to 8 people. We also provide assistance to the Mosel Sanders Thanksgiving Dinner project. With each new member comes new ideas and projects to try.